With the holidays come and gone once again, it’s time to focus on the year ahead. After all the celebrations and sweet treats consumed in December, many people resolve to make healthy lifestyle changes in the new year. If this sounds like you, have you considered adding “maintain a healthy smile” to your resolutions list? Oral health is an important part of overall health. If you are unsure of what to do beyond simple daily brushing, this blog post can help. Below are 3 tips from a dentist in Marietta on how to maintain a healthy smile this year.
#1: Use Proper Brushing Techniques
Cleaning your teeth every day is critical to maintaining a healthy mouth, but how you brush is also key. If you do not use your toothbrush properly you are less likely to remove harmful bacteria from your teeth and protect them from decay. Here are some helpful pointers on how to brush properly:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your teeth and gums
- Brush all sides of your teeth – inside, outside and the chewing surfaces
- Brush twice daily and for a full two minutes each time. You can keep track of the time by setting an alarm on your phone!
#2: A Healthy Mouth Begins with a Healthy Diet
Sugary or acidic foods and drinks can wear down your enamel over time and contribute to tooth decay. Instead, opt for fiber-rich fruits and vegetables like carrots, apples
In addition, try to incorporate dairy products like milk and yogurt into your diet in order to get the recommended daily amount of calcium, phosphates and Vitamin D. Consuming foods and drinks with high levels of calcium will help rebuild your enamel and strengthen your bones.
#3: Don’t Skip a Trip to the Dentist
The American Dental Association recommends individuals see their dentist every six months for a routine dental checkup. Here is why:
- Expert Cleaning – A dentist or dental hygienist uses special tools during a dental checkup to expertly remove harmful plaque and tartar buildup. An expert dental cleaning in Marietta can help prevent tooth decay or gum disease from developing.
- Early Detection – Regular checkups are also an opportunity for a dentist to look for early signs of oral cancer. It is critical to catch this potentially fatal disease early on when it is easiest to treat or remove.
- Reveal Invisible Issues – A dentist will also X-ray teeth and dental bones to help identify any underlying problems such as tumors, tooth decay, swelling and cysts.
Are you ready for a new year, new you in Marietta? These 3 helpful tips will help you stay smiling throughout all of 2019!
About the Author
An active member of the American Dental Association, Dr. Caitlin Mercke strives to provide quality comprehensive dental care in a comfortable, welcoming environment. She recognizes that each patient that walks through the door has unique dental concerns and deserves an individualized treatment plan. For more preventive dentistry tips to maintain a healthy smile in 2019, contact Dr. Mercke via her website or by calling the office at 770-587-5655.